Asia Korea Travel

5 Reasons to Check Out the Korea Travel Expo

Exploring temples in Jeonju

Traveling is one of the best things someone can do for their mind, body and soul. That can mean traveling to distant lands, or exploring around the country you’re living in.

Maybe you’re someone like me: an expat living in South Korea who would love to explore different parts of this beautiful country. Trying to plan for a cross-country adventure can be overwhelming, especially when you can’t speak the language. Well, fear not! There’s something that I think will help folks like me who want to travel around the country but just don’t know where to begin.

Busan, South Korea – have you been?

Enter the Korea Travel Expo! This FREE annual travel event, hosted by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, welcomes locals and expats living in Korea to talk with tourist services such as hotels, transit, travel agencies and theme parks. The four-day event will be held from February 16-19 on the 3rd floor of COEX Mall in Seoul.

If this doesn’t already have you saving the date in your calendar, here are some reasons why you should check out this year’s Korea Travel Expo.

Get information… in English!

Korea Travel Expo

I love Korea and I really wish that I could fluently speak the language. But reality is I can’t! Some websites are only in Korean so getting the information I need is a challenge. Coming to the Travel Expo will allow you to grab all the info you need (and can understand). Some of the booths will have English speakers, so you can get your questions answered. There will also be an opportunity to hear from popular travel writers at the lecture series.

Free stuff & souvenirs

Stroll through different booths and talk with reps about what Korea has to offer!

Today’s word of the day: SWAG! And who doesn’t love free “stuff we all get”? The best part about coming to events like this is leaving with anything from pens to bags to water bottles. There will also be local products for purchase that are exclusive to the Travel Expo.

Get educated

Korea Travel Expo

Part of the fun of traveling is learning about the history and culture, too. At the Travel Expo, I guarantee you will learn something new about Korea and find out about lesser-known areas of the country.

Stay organized

Sometimes life gets in the way and there’s not enough time to plan your adventure. The Travel Expo will have travel agencies on hand to guide you in the right direction and assist you with any travel inquiries you may have.

See Korean culture with your own eyes

Make sure you check out the experience zone to get a dose of Korean culture.

Take a break from all the info and head over to the experience zone. Cultural acts will hit the stage throughout the day where you can see traditional Korean dances and musical performances. Who doesn’t love seeing gorgeous hanboks and listening to fun K-pop music?!

With over 650 booths in attendance, the Korea Travel Expo is the perfect place to fuel your wanderlust and start planning for your next adventure in the “Land of the Morning Calm”.

Date & Location:

February 16-19, 2017
COEX, Hall C & D1, 3rd floor
Seoul, South Korea

Address:

58, Teheran-ro 87-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 강남구 테헤란로87길 58 (삼성동)

Disclaimer:

This is a paid advertorial written for the annual Korea Travel Expo, hosted by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Korea Tourism Association.  As always, opinions are my own.

Nicole
    February 6, 2017 at 12:52 am

I had no idea about this event but thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. I sometimes get bummed that I can’t speak Korean fluently- so many things I could book without having to bug co-workers if I could! You’re leaving next month too aren’t ya? Hope you’re enjoying your last month in the country!

February 6, 2017 at 4:16 am

I agree. It sucks when I can’t speak the language fluently. That’s when I use lots of body language to convey my message. You should have seen me in the eye glasses store the other day! Yes, I am sadly leaving at the end of the month. Korea has been amazing and will always have a special place in my heart!!

Kate Carter Hickey
    February 5, 2017 at 3:48 am

Sounds like a good time! Are you coming up from busan for the event? Coex is right near me!

February 5, 2017 at 10:23 am

Unfortunately I can’t make it to the event but I hope lots of expats go!

Emre Kanik
    February 4, 2017 at 9:00 pm

This is great. Most tourists don’t go further than Seoul and maybe Suwon so it is good that they organize these kind of things. I also didn’t know his existed. Maybe they can do something about their advertising. Putting it on your blog is definitely a good start.

February 5, 2017 at 10:25 am

Ya it’s a great start and I hope many people discover the beautiful corners of Korea!

Wendy Flor
    February 3, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Korea is a winner when it comes to freebies. And kudos to every sector (government or private), they are really strong in promoting everything Korean. And we, who support this, don’t get disappointed because every corner is well-taken cared of… classic example, strong wi-fi connection and cafes on top of a mountain?… I’ll share your post, by the way. this is pretty helpful.

February 5, 2017 at 10:26 am

Totally agree! There are many things about this country that I love. Thanks for the support and sharing this post! Cheers!

Bonita
    February 2, 2017 at 3:17 pm

We have one in Kenya and I have never attended…maybe because it is home and I assume to know almost everything. I guess when you are a foreigner it makes so much sense to go for such Expos! I love the free goodies bit too

February 3, 2017 at 1:39 am

Totally! I think I’m going to check some out in my own hometown when I return back to Canada. You can learn so much!

Stephanie Fox
    February 2, 2017 at 9:58 am

I’ve always attended these events from a business perspective but never thought about it from a traveller, how useful! Especially in places with a language barrier.

February 3, 2017 at 1:38 am

Ya it’s good to attend from a different perspective!

Chasing KM
    February 2, 2017 at 6:59 am

Always a welcome surprise when you can get information you need that’s up-to-date and in English!! We live all the way down South but may be in Seoul that weekend – will def pop in! Thanks for the heads up!

February 3, 2017 at 1:38 am

I’m also in the south – in Busan! Whereabouts do you live?

Stella Gold
    February 2, 2017 at 1:28 am

This sounds like a great way to learn more about Korea! I’ve never been but I want to go. And I especially like that the information is available in English

February 2, 2017 at 1:42 am

They have expos like this in every city. Find out when yours is taking place wherever you are!

BeeWanderlust
    February 2, 2017 at 12:53 am

This is such a handy event! My boyfriend and I are planning on working in South Korea for a year next year so I will definitely keep this in mind!

February 2, 2017 at 1:41 am

You’re making the right choice to come work here for a year (teacher, I presume?)

Natasha Atlas
    February 1, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Some of my friends went to teach English in Korea! I would have done but my English is horrendous! Lol looks beautiful! ☺️ X

February 1, 2017 at 11:53 pm

Teaching English in Korea has been the best time of my life!

Strycenkay
    February 1, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Me and my partner are definitely going to go to this! We have just signed another years contract and this is right up our street. Perfect!

February 2, 2017 at 1:41 am

That’s perfect! Glad that you could go and check it out! Hope you have a great time!

Becky the Traveller
    February 1, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Love this idea, I’m thinking of travelling to South Korea this year… well along with everywhere else!! I’m assuming that it’s an annual event but do they do anything else during the year as well?

February 2, 2017 at 1:40 am

You definitely have to come to South Korea! It’s so wonderful here! I am not sure what they do at other times of the year. I could find out and get back to you!

Lily Riani
    February 1, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Great place for networking. We have 2-3 travel expo per year in Malaysia but it is purely for tarvel agent and end users. Lucky you!

February 2, 2017 at 1:40 am

It really is a good place to network! Another great reason to go!

Migrating Miss
    February 1, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I love travel Expo’s! I always get a lot of inspiration for future trips and love to see what’s going on in the travel world. And I never say no to free stuff haha.

February 2, 2017 at 1:39 am

I hope to take advantage and go to more expos in different cities!

fionarabbit2013
    February 1, 2017 at 1:57 pm

The “free stuff” part was the most interesting to me haha. It’s such a pity there was not much information in English, otherwise it would have been an even better experience 🙂

February 2, 2017 at 1:39 am

Just to clarify – it’s the websites that don’t have much information in english (or it’s out of date). Coming to the expo will help you get all the info you need and to get it in English! 🙂

ravenoustravellers
    February 1, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Ahh I am so glad I read this post I’m definitely going to check it out!! I had no idea it was on! There’s always so much to do and see in Korea it’s hard to keep up – hopefully I can get information about all of the places I want to visit here. How did you find out about it?

February 2, 2017 at 1:38 am

Glad you came across this post then! The Korea Tourism board contacted me so I could talk about it to other expats!

nickymackenzie
    February 1, 2017 at 11:02 am

Sadly we will still be in Europe when this takes place, but like you say, it sounds like a great opportunity to plan a trip! And who doesn’t love a freebie?!

February 2, 2017 at 1:37 am

Love the freebies!

Sandy N Vyjay
    February 1, 2017 at 8:07 am

These events are great opportunities to learn about the latest in the travel industry. It also provides a good platform for networking. On top of it if entry is free, that is a great bonus. Glad that Korea organizes such events, would love to see more in other cities as well.

February 1, 2017 at 10:18 am

I agree! I love that the country is really doing a lot to promote their tourism. It’s a great country to tour around!

February 1, 2017 at 7:46 am

I’m hoping I can check this out. It ends the day after I get back from Japan, so it may be tricky, haha. It sounds super interesting though! I love conferences like this. Haven’t been to a ton, but they’re always fun… if only for the free swag haha.

February 1, 2017 at 10:24 am

I haven’t been to a ton either but I love going to events like this (I’ve been to food ones and such). Have a great time in Japan!

Alla Ponomareva
    February 1, 2017 at 7:18 am

It’s too bad we’ll be abroad and traveling during those days. Otherwise I would have loved visiting this Tourism EXPO. Everyone loves free goodies and I hope everyone who goes walks away with some great information (in English please) and lots of inspiration to sightsee and explore!

February 1, 2017 at 10:26 am

Aw too bad you can’t make it. Where will you be traveling?

Gina Bear
    February 1, 2017 at 12:54 am

You definitely had me at free and I’ll be posting this on my blog as soon as possible as well. Will you be there at the expo? I want to pick up free souvenirs and plan my Korea travel list for 2017.

February 1, 2017 at 1:20 am

Aw thanks! Sadly I am leaving Korea this month so a trip to Seoul from Busan is not possible at the moment. However, I encourage all of my fellow expats to check it out so they can check off items on their Korean bucket list!

Soraya @ Hello Raya
    February 1, 2017 at 12:48 am

I love visiting travel expos, because it’s such a great way to learn more about where you’ll travel to next. Plus they usually offer some awesome deals and discounts. Good point about all the info being in English!

February 1, 2017 at 1:18 am

I like when they give exclusive offers to the guests!

Khansa
    January 31, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I have always been such a fan of Korea. I watch Korean dramas and can undesrtand a bit of the language. I definitely cant read it though.
    I hope I make it there someday 🙂

February 1, 2017 at 1:16 am

That’s so great! You already are immersing yourself into the culture! I don’t watch K-dramas but can somewhat understand the language. Just a bit!!

neha
    January 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm

I recently attended my first travel expo in my hometown, Bangalore. And I really liked it. They give so much exposure and bring so many offers under one roof. I will like to attend the Korea one sometimes soon

February 1, 2017 at 1:15 am

That’s great you were able to visit the one in your country! I’m going to try and visit some when I go home to Canada.

Arnav @ETLR
    January 31, 2017 at 7:44 am

These kind of expos are always good to attend specialy to increase awareness and in this getting to know more about korea. Though haven’t been there nor would be able to attend this, but thanks for putting it on my radar. Its the perfect place to gather information before exploring the country.

January 31, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I agree with everything you said! I’m sure there are expos like this in the city you’re living in. I would highly recommend checking out travel events if you can!

Kyle Studstill
    January 30, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Good to know about starting points like this in a new city

January 31, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Definitely! It’ll give you a good basis to start your travel planning.

Megan Indoe
    January 30, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I had no idea this event was held annually! We really missed out by not attending, too bad we won’t be around for it this year! Korea was always good at giving out swag!

January 31, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’m glad it’s an annual event, too! I love the swag they give out in Korea – even at other events & even on the street!

Nathan Anderson
    January 30, 2017 at 7:28 am

I had no idea about this Expo, thanks for the heads up! I’ll try to make it this year. Have you been to any other travel-related conferences? If so, how did this one stack up?

I think it’d be worth going just to see the free cultural and K-pop performances, but to get a boatload of useful info AND swag too? Awesome 😛

January 31, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’m glad they have events like this! I haven’t been to any other travel-related events in Korea nor in any other cities, but I’ll try to make it out to more!