Asia Korea Living Abroad

How to Save Money in South Korea

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

How to Save Money in South Korea

I’m going to be completely honest. Saving money has never been one of my strengths. I’d always blow my Christmas and birthday money at the mall. Now that I’m in my late twenties (oh dear, that’s frightening to say out loud!) I’ve become more sensible about where my dollars (in this case, my Korean won) are going.

After living in Korea for almost a year and a half now, I have developed a steady monthly budget and I have been able to send parts of my teaching paycheque back home to Canada.

The following is a collection of tips and tricks I use to stay on top of my finances while living abroad. Although this is specific to the cost of living in South Korea, I am certain you can work some of these ideas into your own lifestyle –  wherever you are living. I’ll also provide an average monthly budget so I can show you just how I’m able to save, spend and (sometimes) splurge!

Figure out your priorities

Are you saving up for your next big adventure? Maybe you’re collecting coin for a down payment on a house or a car? Or perhaps you’re trying to pay off your enormous student debt? Whatever you’re saving for, figure out exactly how much you need to put aside to make your monthly goals happen. If you want to double it up in a month, then you’ll probably have to cut costs somewhere else to make sure you stay within your budget.

Download a finance tracker app

Spending Tracker is a simple money tracking app that allows you to add your expenses and income and keep a close eye on it. I like the functionality of Spending Tracker because you can customize to view your budget by month, week or day. And you can add your own categories with various icons (such as groceries, dining, clothing and utilities). There are several budget apps out there so head to your app store and find one that works for you (for free hopefully)!

I know everyone’s obsessed with collecting Pokemon at the moment. But I’m all about collecting points! I signed up for points cards at some of the major stores and big brands in Korea, such as HomePlus, Etude House (makeup store), and CJ One. At the checkout counter, I present my card to the cashier or type in my phone number into the key pad to receive points and discounts. I recently received some gifts and instant discounts at Etude House because it was the week of my birthday. What a nice surprise!

Get a transit card

Another important card to have in your wallet! The transportation system in South Korea is so efficient and I think one of the best in the world (hey Toronto, step your game up!). If you are living in Korea, or even visiting, I’d suggest purchasing a transportation card (T-Money and Cash Bee are the most popular). The card gives you a small discount on riding the bus or subway. Plus, it gives you free transfers – within a half hour –  from the bus to the subway or vice versa (just remember to tap your card before getting off the bus). You can also pay your taxi fare with your transit card, too!

Make meals at home

If you want to really save some dough, get creative in the kitchen and make your own meals. I make a weekly trip to the markets for fresh fruits and veggies and to HomePlus where I buy imported foods such as almond milk and avocados. I only have to worry about breakfast and dinner as I eat lunch at work (about $3 a day). At my school, we are able to take leftovers home which is a win-win for me: I save even more money and I get to eat yummy Korean food for dinner. If you are going to dine out, that’s fine because Korean restaurants are pretty cheap! It’s the western-style restaurants that your bank account has to worry about.

Can you believe this only cost $5?

Can you believe this only cost $5?

Forget about YOLO and embrace FOMO

Back in my university / post-grad days, I didn’t want to miss a beat. I was in a constant state of “fear of missing out”. But now… I realize that a weekend or two of chilling is a-okay! It makes both my liver and my bank account happy! But don’t get me wrong, I highly enjoy the Korea nightlife (as seen on my Snapchat) and have had my fair share of fun nights out dancing to k-pop and drinking soju. So if you’re wondering HOW you can enjoy those nights out without spending a boat load…read below!

Hit up Club 7… 11

The last time I chilled in front of a 711 was in high school, sippin’ Slurpees and eating Big Bite hot dogs. Korea has taken it to a whole new level… and I love it! Sitting out in front of the convenience store with some alcoholic bevies and snacks is a popular thing to do for both foreigners and locals alike. Nothing beats drinking $2 beers and $1 sojus while playing a game of cards – or the popular Korean drinking game like Mandu – on a summer night.

Or bring the party to the beach!

Or bring the party to the beach!

Find FREE things to do around the city

What I love about Korea – Busan especially – is that there are many indoor and outdoor activities to do… that don’t cost a thing! Everything from hiking; to cooking classes; to kayaking at the beach. Many activities are geared towards foreigners that offer discounted prices or free admission. Read here for ten free things to do in Busan, brought to you by fellow blogger and teacher, Wee Gypsy Girl.

My average monthly budget. Varies depending on time of year. Click for bigger version.

So far, I’ve been able to send home over $10,000 CAD and I’m happy I’m meeting my financial goals! If you continued to work in Korea, I guarantee you could pay off all of your student debt; save for a down payment on a house or car; or put money towards a travel fund. ESL teachers in Korea – don’t forget: a chunk of money will come to you at the end of your time in Korea. You will receive pension, severance and your flight home upon completion of your contract.

When it comes down to it, it’s how smart you want to be with your money. Everyone has different priorities. As long as you can see some sort of return on the money you are saving, then you’re fulfilling your goals.

Are you living abroad (or in your home country) and saving towards your goals? Comment below and tell me about it! Feel free to leave any tips that work for you!

TCK Goes Home
    April 26, 2017 at 12:08 pm

I love that you mentioned store points, because in Korea just about any stores have it! Also, letting go of FOMO is super hard, but in the end it’s so good for your financial AND mental health (from my personal experiences). Thanks for the great tips. Now time to ramp up my savings game… :p

April 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Glad I could provide some tips for ya. Good luck with your savings goals!

Indrani
    December 22, 2016 at 5:14 am

Good piece of info for all students studying on loan! I like the idea of cooking at home, it saves a lot during normal travels too.

December 22, 2016 at 6:59 am

Yes I like to make big batches of food so that I can eat it throughout the week and when I have to take lunch to school (when the kids are out for vacation).

Indrani
    November 2, 2016 at 5:53 am

The store points card is a new concept for me. Haven’t seen them around here.
    Most of the other tips too are of great help. Cooking meals at home is a great idea but I feel too lazy while traveling.

November 4, 2016 at 4:01 am

I had a few back home in Canada, too. So I made sure I signed up for them here in Korea, too! It’s all in Korean too but I managed to do it 🙂

Monica
    November 1, 2016 at 11:12 am

Great advice! I used to be really bad with money. When I lived in Japan, I lived alone and my paycheck was always enough for me to live comfortably, travel, go to concerts, and eat out. Now that I’m married and in Korea, I’ve learned a lot about budgeting. I’m like you – I used an app to track my spending (and it’s all in Korean, so that doubles as studying) and it’s helped me a lot. I definitely cook more at home now, too.

November 2, 2016 at 5:18 am

Thanks! I’m still continuing to spend my money wisely. It’s mostly going to traveling and my student debt. I can’t wait for the day when that total says ZERO!

Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy
    October 15, 2016 at 3:05 am

This is a very helpful post, expecially for those living away from home. I especially like those cards that give you points when you spend as I get to use the points to purchase things also. I agree with cooking at home. It’s so much more budget friendly (and healthier) than eating out all the time.

October 16, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Thank you – I’m glad you find it useful! I love store cards as well as coupons (I don’t use them AS much in Korea but back home in Canada I’d say I was a semi extreme couponer haha). I like making meals and big batches of food instead of dining out all the time!

The Walking Map
    August 9, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I’ll have to check out spend tracker. My biggest savings by far have been since I stopped going to concerts a few years ago.

August 30, 2016 at 12:29 am

Yes you should! I like it because it does the calculating for you! I haven’t been to a concert in a while (since living abroad). I try to find cheap deals if I do.

journalofnomads
    August 9, 2016 at 7:28 am

My partner and I are currently hitchhiking around the world. Although we often stop to work here and there, it is important that we keep an eye on our budget. Thanks for the idea of an app. So far I’ve been writing down our income and expenses in a little notebook but I might try our an app for that 🙂 We mainly spend money on food and we save up by eating in little local restaurants or cooking for ourselves (not always easy while living in a tent 😉 ). We barely buy alcoholic drinks and if we need new clothes, we mostly get it from second-hand shops. When it comes to budgeting, I think it’s about personal priorities and having a good goal for wanting to save that extra money 🙂

August 30, 2016 at 12:29 am

These are all great tips you’ve shared! Thanks! I like the app because it does the calculating for me! hehe. Hope you’re having a great time on your adventures!

Karla at GlobalETA
    August 9, 2016 at 1:52 am

These are great tips for saving money in almost any country! Thanks for sharing!

August 30, 2016 at 12:28 am

You’re very welcome!

TheBohoChica
    August 8, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Getting over FOMO makes a huge difference to your travel budget and certainly takes time and practice. I’ve finally gotten to that stage where I have zero FOMO and am perfectly happy drinking cheap beer at my hostel on a weekend instead of hitting the ‘must-do’ bars and pubs that charge twice as much on weekends. It just means prioritizing and I’d rather spend my money on a plane ticket than partying.

August 9, 2016 at 12:04 am

Yesssss I love your comment. I agree the key word is PRIORITIES! Some people would rather spend their money on luxury items, or electronics, or drinks that are twice the markup than in stores. But I would totally rather spend it on a plane ticket, too!

The Roaming Renegades.com
    August 8, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Awesome tips, especially for someone like me! My wife is great at saving up and is the main reason why we are able to travel so much, so your this post could really come in handy for when we head out to Asia on our next great adventure! Thanks

August 9, 2016 at 12:03 am

Great! I’m glad you read this post then! Have fun in Asia, whenever you get here!!! 🙂

Laura @ Sometime Traveller
    August 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Great tips! When I’m saving for something specific, I always set up a separate account for it and transfer money in as soon as I get paid, so I never ‘accidentally’ spend it on expensive coffees or lunches out!

August 9, 2016 at 12:02 am

That’s such a good idea! Speaking of coffee, I’m sooooo glad I don’t like the taste. Otherwise, I think I’d be spending so much on a cup every day. And even if they’re $2-3…. that adds up!!

travelling chingrita
    August 8, 2016 at 3:35 pm

These are fab tips and speaks to everyone (even at home); saving money is actually not as difficult as one may think it’s realizing that the “sacrifices” aren’t really sacrifices. Eating at home is healthier, having me time to chill out and not get lit every weekend is a good thing.. I think all of your points are awesome.. I especially agree with grabbing the discounts wherever you can get!

August 9, 2016 at 12:01 am

It’s so true — they aren’t really sacrifices. I know it’s hard to stay completely healthy and sometimes we need to treat ourselves. But I guess we need to know the limit. Plus, going out every weekend gets tiring… same crowd, same scene.

evan kristine
    August 8, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Great tips that also can be used on other places! I like cooking at home, it always cost far less and sometimes even better!

August 9, 2016 at 12:00 am

I totally agree! Thanks for stopping by!

Unpaved Travel
    August 8, 2016 at 11:10 am

Great tips. We visited a lot of 7/11’s in Scandinavia to save money! Looks like they’re even cheaper in South Korea 🙂

August 9, 2016 at 12:00 am

I love how 711’s are all around the world!

crystalegan
    August 8, 2016 at 11:02 am

This is like the kind of post I would write 🙂 Thanks for the awesome info!

Crystal recently posted… Budget Guide: Cuba

August 8, 2016 at 11:59 pm

No problem! Thanks for stopping by, Crystal!

Renne
    August 7, 2016 at 11:07 pm

The 7/11 tip is a good one!

August 7, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Yes, I think so!

Beautifully Travelled
    August 7, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Some really great tips in this post. And they can be applied to travelling in most countries really. I especially like the advice to use an app to track your expenses. To be honest I hadn’t though of that. I usually try to remember though for my blog posts.

August 8, 2016 at 12:04 am

I’m glad you found these tips useful! Download a tracking app ASAP 🙂

Carmen's Luxury Travel
    August 7, 2016 at 8:55 pm

South Korea is high up on my list! Great post, thanks for sharing. Happy travels 🙂

August 8, 2016 at 12:04 am

I hope you can make your way to this beautiful country, soon! Happy travels to you too!

Stephanie
    August 7, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I think there are some great general travel saving tips to be gleaned from this article too, like eating local food which I’ve found is almost always cheaper than Western/American food while traveling abroad. Love the tip about FOMO – that could be a huge drain on finances if you let it!

Megan Claire (@mappingmegan)
    August 6, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Some great tips here – I’ve found that every decision to save will come down to priorities – deciding what we want more, and how much we want it!

August 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

I totally agree. It’s all about priorities!

Wanderlustingk
    August 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Great post. These would be applicable to a lot of expats besides the 7/11 bit. I really should use a finance app…. I bike everywhere, which saves a lot of money on public transit!

August 6, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Oooh biking is a good tip to add to the list. It gets you moving too — kill two birds with one stone!

Jamie
    August 6, 2016 at 2:57 am

This reminds me of my time in Spain. It was so easy to save money when things like public transportation existed. Wish I could do that here in Florida!

August 6, 2016 at 11:51 am

I was thinking about Spain as my next destination to live… It’s easy to save there? Good to know!

Jamie
        August 6, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Yes! Prices are cheap, depending on where exactly in Spain you are of course. I lived in Madrid – I had friends in the city center who were paying 500 euros or so for rent, but I lived just outside center and paid 220! I taught English over there for 1,000 a month. Very easy!

PaigeBrown
    August 6, 2016 at 1:13 am

These are really great tips, not only for Korea, but some of them apply to travel in general. The 7/11 one is FANTASTIC! I know I spent some time going in to get toasties and a break in the aircon in Thailand! Cheers!

August 6, 2016 at 11:50 am

Yes I hope people can use some of these tips – regardless of where they are in the world! Don’t think the Club 7/11 tip will work for people in Canada or USA though…. haha

Joe
    August 5, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Some very good tips there. Making little savings as often as you can, with things like transit and store points, all adds up and helps ensure you don’t have to be overly thrifty in other areas 🙂

August 6, 2016 at 11:49 am

Exactly. Every little bit counts! When I’m in Canada, I couponed about! haha… Love those buy 1 get 1 free deals!

suzannahsylvian
    August 5, 2016 at 8:16 am

This is really good advice. I am quite good with money and love making the most of free things to do, and would agree with all of these tips 100%. As others are saying, these can be applied anywhere in the world – especially the cooking at home or at least eating on a budget.

August 6, 2016 at 11:48 am

Thanks for stopping by! I love when I can experience things for free! Even just walking around the neighbourhood and seeing different people out and about or looking a great view is enough for me! And it’s all free!

Vyjay Rao
    August 5, 2016 at 7:19 am

I must confess that I am also not really a whiz when it comes to savings, ask me to blow it up and i will! These are some really sensible tips, especially the one about cooking at home, because it does end up saving a lot of money and you end up eating healthier food in the bargain.

August 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

Haha I used to be like that (still working on some things, no one’s perfect!). Yes, cooking at home both saves money and calories!

Clarissa Santoso
    August 5, 2016 at 4:07 am

What a great tips! I think we can apply these tips in basically everywhere else in the world. Thanks for sharing! Love from Indonesia

August 5, 2016 at 7:06 am

Thanks so much!! Wow Indonesia – I hope to get there soon before leaving Korea!

valerie hansen
    August 4, 2016 at 4:08 pm

great tips…You have lots in common with Me..ha I am Canadian and I’m a teacher also..I live in the USA tho..would love to teach overseas! Enjoy your time there!

August 5, 2016 at 7:05 am

Oh awesome! It’s always great meeting fellow Canadian bloggers / teachers. You should consider SK for your next move! 🙂

The Soul of Seoul
    August 4, 2016 at 12:56 pm

There are so many point cards in Korea, aren’t there?! From the Happy Point for Paris Baguette and Dunkin Donuts to every cafe giving a free coffee every tenth or so and then the apps for discounts, it’s amazing. You should check out We Make Price, it’s a great app to get tickets and deals on everything from groceries to shopping too. ^^

August 5, 2016 at 7:05 am

Oh thank you so much I’ll check this app out! They always ask me if I have a points card in Paris Baguette… I feel like if I did, I’d go there more and more and that might not be good on the belly! hahaha I have a few stamp cards too (Juicy juice bar and Subway…. lol). Thanks for stopping by!

ericatheis
    August 4, 2016 at 11:43 am

Great list! I guess most of these tips would apply more to expat life or extremely slow travel, but I may be backpacking through South Korea in the not-too-distant future and Club 711 (lol) will be on my list.

August 5, 2016 at 7:03 am

Yes you’re right… it’s more for the expat life and specific to living in South Korea. But a few tweaks, and people can incorporate many of these tips to wherever they’re living! Club 7-11 is the new black 😉 haha

livein10countries.com - Danni
    August 4, 2016 at 11:38 am

Loved this, especially as South Korea is notoriously expensive, The finance tracker is particularly important, I used to keep all mine on an old excel spreadsheet before getting a smartphone 🙂

August 5, 2016 at 7:02 am

South Korea can be cheap on some things (e.g. alcohol, transportation and Korean restaurants), but expensive on the other hand (e.g. FRUIT!). Thanks for reading!

Sabine
    August 4, 2016 at 8:48 am

Thank you for this great tips, especially the transit card.
    Sunny Greetings from Germany!
    Sabine

August 4, 2016 at 11:06 am

You’re very welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

Sally Cochrane
    August 4, 2016 at 8:35 am

These are some great tips for living or travelling in any country. I especially like finding free things to do. You don’t have to spend money to have fun. Is it expensive or cheap for living expenses in South Korea?

August 4, 2016 at 11:06 am

That’s so true – you don’t have to spend money to have fun. If you’re a teacher in SK, your living expenses are paid for (except for utilities, as you can see in my spending budget). Rent is fairly cheap (depends on where you are living though… wealthier neighbourhoods such as Haeundae or Gangnam are going to be higher in rent). You actually need to have ‘key money’ to give to the landlord up front. This can be about $5,000USD You get this money back once you vacate the unit, given that you didn’t trash the place. It can be hard for people who don’t exactly have that cash on hand. Thanks for the question!

Soumya Nambiar
    August 4, 2016 at 4:46 am

I never knew 711 can be such a good form of entertainment. Good tips

August 4, 2016 at 11:02 am

Haha, it really is! Lots of fun…and you’ll see many other foreigners having a good time, too.

Toronto Seoulcialite
    August 4, 2016 at 4:21 am

Awesome tips! I definitely need to stop the FOMO and stay in more. The 711 (or CU I our case) nights have been some for the ages and are experiences and memories I won’t soon forget!

August 4, 2016 at 11:01 am

I also like to stay in so I feel great the next day… sojus (as you know) are killer! But I’ll remember those nights in front of CU (or GS25, or 7/11!) forever!

Soraya @ Hello Raya
    August 4, 2016 at 1:52 am

This is awesome, all of them great ideas. I find the finance tracker really helps me because it visually shows me what I am spending. Now I am so much more conscious about spending – the app helps me think… do I really need this? And I love your comment about forget about YOLO/embrace FOMO – so true!!! Great post!

August 4, 2016 at 10:59 am

I do the same when I look at the my spending tracker! I have to ask myself some questions if I reeeeeally need it or not.

vickikozel
    August 3, 2016 at 11:44 pm

What a fun post! Those dishes look amazing!

August 4, 2016 at 10:59 am

Thanks for stopping by and reading 🙂 That dish was pretty tasty!

katy@untoldmorsels
    August 3, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Sounds like sound advice to me. I definitely fall into the YOLO category ..

August 4, 2016 at 10:58 am

Haha, don’t we all! Thanks for reading! 🙂

Cori Carl
    August 3, 2016 at 8:26 pm

When I was backpacking (before smartphones existed!) I kept track of my expenses in a notebook. I managed to do enough freelance work (from university libraries!) that I had $100 more in my chequing account when I got home four months later. Now I use Level Money to keep tabs on things and just put everything on my credit card. And working from the road is a lot easier.

I’ve saved so much money since I went to Thailand because I’ve been cooking at home ever since — trying to master all the delicious Thai food I ate while I was there!

August 4, 2016 at 10:58 am

Nice! I also have a notebook to jot down everything, including money I spend. We can’t solely rely on smartphones!

Anne
    August 3, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I can honestly I didn’t save a penny when I was teaching abroad spending it all on travelling so good on you for making it a priority

August 4, 2016 at 10:34 am

A lot of my money goes towards travel, too! That money I send to my home bank account goes towards it.

Jen Morrow
    August 3, 2016 at 7:55 pm

The transit card is a good tip. I do not think I could make dinner at home and miss out on all of the yummy food while I travel, and I am willing to take the financial hit.

August 4, 2016 at 10:31 am

I know, I do dine out a lot, too. But I just have a limit on what I can spend. I usually cook during the week, and hit the restaurants on the weekend.

rovingjo
    August 3, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I also use a financial app to help keep track of spending. It helped to really see where I was wasting money so I knew were to cut back. I love countries that have good public transport. Ours in S Florida is terrible. These are all great tips that anyone can apply. Thanks for Sharing. Happy Roving!!!

August 4, 2016 at 10:30 am

Those apps are crucial to have! Sorry to hear South Florida transit is not up to par. Thanks for reading my post!

marie
    August 3, 2016 at 11:34 am

Great tips! I always think the best things to do in a city are often free! Just walking around and seeing everything is a delight. I would probably splurge on all the skincare products. Thank you.

August 4, 2016 at 10:14 am

I love walking around the parks, the busy streets, and the beach! Oh and I know what you mean about the skincare… you need a lot of willpower to say no!

star lengas
    August 3, 2016 at 5:04 am

I track my finances in specific journal, so I can see where my money is going. Earlier this summer, I was spending tons of won on Korean skincare, so I made a promise to use up everything before re-upping. We also pack lunch instead of eating and only eat out 2-3x a week. On a dual family income, we’ve been able to save so much since moving to Korea, I agree it definitely helps that there are a ton of free options and eating out isn’t super expensive. Great post & tips! Oh what’s the dish with the mussels called? That looks delicious!

August 3, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thanks so much! Oooh a journal is a good idea, too. I just like the app because it does the calculations for me (hehehe). The Korean skin care is crazy here and I can see how we can get carried away with all the products (I love the foot peeling masks for the feet — they work!). That yummy dish is a raman noodle dish with mussels. It visited this spot a while ago so I can’t remember the spot. It was a local Korean restaurant off a side street (so vague, I know haha).

Nicole
    August 2, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Thanks for including my link in this post, Sam! 🙂 These are some great tips- I follow most of them too! Xx

August 3, 2016 at 3:27 am

You’re very welcome! I love free things to do in the city! 🙂